It’s hard to believe I have not always known the value and beauty of essential oils—now I use them for everything. To treat colds, sinus issues, stomach aches, anxiety, mood management, sleep issues, cleaning and disinfecting.
I bet you didn’t know they had that many uses, did you? Most people don’t.
Just like me, they hear about essential oils and think they are used for aromatherapy purposes only. They don’t understand the power behind what I now call nature’s medicine.
Essential oils are liquid extracts distilled from plants such as flowers, trees, and aromatic herbs. They provide protection for the plants by repelling harmful insects. They are very concentrated and it often takes an entire plant (or more) to produce a single drop of oil.
Their pleasant aromas from the oils have been known to balance moods, lift spirits, get rid of negative emotions and even create a romantic atmosphere.
Essential oils are more than just a pleasant aroma. Historically, they have been used to kill viruses, fungi, and bacteria. If you’re skeptical and need scientific data for yourself in order to become a believer, read on.
1. Essential oils are anti-fungal, antiviral, anti-microbial, anti-parasitic, anti-infectious and antiseptic. They can combat infectious disease by killing off viruses, bacteria or other pathogens. Some oils have been shown to destroy all tested viruses and bacteria.
2. Essential oils can act on both your mind and your body. Their aromas can be stimulating both psychologically and physically, as well as calming and sedating. Inhaling aromas is extremely powerful. Aromatic stimuli of your limbic system cause the release of neurotransmitters, including pain-reducing encephalin, pleasure-producing endorphins, relaxing serotonin, and stimulating noradrenaline.
3. Essential oils are some of the most powerful known antioxidants. (Determined by an ORAC developed by Tuft University).
4. Essential oils are capable of penetrating your cell membranes since they are lipid-soluble. According to Jean V. MD, essential oils can affect every cell of the body within 20 minutes, and are then metabolized like other nutrients. An anti-biotic cannot penetrate your cell’s wall.
5. Essential oils detoxify your cells and your blood.
6. Essential purify the air by eliminating odors from cooking, animals, mold, bacteria and other sources.
7. Essential oils are small enough to penetrate every tissue in your skin.
8. According to researchers at Vienna University essential oils stimulate blood flow, which increases your nutrient and oxygen delivery.
9. Essential oils can be administered in two ways, either topically or through aromatherapy and therapeutic grade essential oils can be ingested in certain instances. When applied topically and inhaled, essential oils are absorbed immediately into your blood stream. Oils used aromatically don’t have to go through your digestive system, so they work immediately in your body.
10. The essential oils’ versatility makes them fairly inexpensive to use: One bottle goes a long way and can be used for many different ailments. For example, lavender oil helps with relaxation, sleep, bug bites, eczema and burns.